Discover Captiva Island – one of the best places in the world to collect seashells. Situated along the shores of the Florida Gulf Coast, South Seas Island Resort is the perfect place to begin your search. The island is part of a plateau, which extends into the Gulf of Mexico for miles, serving as a shelf for seashells to collect. The unique geography of the island acts like a scoop for dislodged shells. Tides push the shells up onto beach, readying them to be collected.
Useful tips for finding a cherished keepsake:
- Shelling, best done at low tide and after a storm
- Taking of live shells, prohibited by Florida law
- Collecting, best in a bucket or bag
- Wearing water shoes, for your protection
- Shuffling feet while walking, to disturb resting stingrays
- Soaking, in 50/50 mix of bleach and water removes leathery skin and barnacles
- Brushing, removes additional barnacles
- Filing, smoothes rough edges
- Wiping, with baby or mineral oil gives it shine
Family. Nature. Comfort. Discover why South Seas Island Resort has become a Top 10 Beach Resort for Families by Parents Magazine. Surround yourself with sun, sand, sea and sky for your next family beach vacation. Book your memorable experience online for Our Best Rates Guaranteed.